Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Everytime I update a JA template to clients sites, I have to remember to rewrite their own favicon back.
    It would be very helpful if you would stop writing the Joomla favicon.ico back into the template folder.

Thanks
    Gary

Ninja Lead Moderator

I checked from other templates and always to see templates/your_template/favicon.ico file, maybe you have to backup favicon.ico file before doing upgrades template

Ninja Lead Moderator

I checked from other templates and always to see templates/your_template/favicon.ico file, maybe you have to backup favicon.ico file before doing upgrades template

arcascomputing Friend

I was coming up against this issue too and resolved it in the end by using another Joomla Extension:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/favicon

This is a component and plugin which allows you to create/upload your custom favicon via the component then the plugin overrides the one from your template. This should mean that even after T3 framework/template upgrades you can retain your favicon (it also had the added benefits of being able to create multiple favicons).

arcascomputing Friend

I was coming up against this issue too and resolved it in the end by using another Joomla Extension:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/favicon

This is a component and plugin which allows you to create/upload your custom favicon via the component then the plugin overrides the one from your template. This should mean that even after T3 framework/template upgrades you can retain your favicon (it also had the added benefits of being able to create multiple favicons).

bodgeit Friend

Thanks arcascomputing, that looks like a workaround but we shouldn’t have to install another component.

Joomlart should support their users. Doing a quick check during update to see if favicon has changed and to if so to leave it or set it to only post file if it doesn’t exist should not be hard.

Asking users t do a backup and then retireve the file from a backup is a typical getout from developers.
    It would be that attention to detail that could help them stand out from the crowd. :-*

bodgeit Friend

Thanks arcascomputing, that looks like a workaround but we shouldn’t have to install another component.

Joomlart should support their users. Doing a quick check during update to see if favicon has changed and to if so to leave it or set it to only post file if it doesn’t exist should not be hard.

Asking users t do a backup and then retireve the file from a backup is a typical getout from developers.
    It would be that attention to detail that could help them stand out from the crowd. :-*

arcascomputing Friend

The other option rather than doing the check would be if we could place the favicon.ico file in the “local” directory which acts as an override so that even if the default favicon is overwritten then the one placed in the override folder would … well … override it?

arcascomputing Friend

The other option rather than doing the check would be if we could place the favicon.ico file in the “local” directory which acts as an override so that even if the default favicon is overwritten then the one placed in the override folder would … well … override it?

bodgeit Friend

+1 for that suggestion!

Ninja Lead?

bodgeit Friend

+1 for that suggestion!

Ninja Lead?

Ninja Lead Moderator

<em>@bodgeit 477640 wrote:</em><blockquote>+1 for that suggestion!

Ninja Lead?</blockquote>
    @bodgeit: or you can use the solution here

aardcom Friend

That’s ridiculous….
    You want us to create a script to modify how overides work so that we can add .ico files to a folder they should not be in. wouldn’t it be easier to ignore .ico files if they have been modified by user. I would think this could be standard for all templates and t3 upgrades.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bodgeit 8 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum