Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

as you all know by now my displeasure with godaddy and 1and1, a client called me today and complained his site was not working correctly.

godaddy had chmod every single file, every single permission setting including the 755’s and the 644’s to 705 across the board.

their are files that just won’t work with that permission (705)

what the hell are they thinking, how can a hosting company just abitrarily reset file permisions like that.

client wants me to fix it no charge

I don’t think so

sign me
    not a fan of cheap hosting:eek:

bennitos Friend

I’m a fan of cheap hosting, actually found a lot of cheap hosting sites that are very good and customer friendy.

But godaddy? :(( Its one of the worst provider i came across. Takes a lot of time to get things running properly at godaddy when at other hosting providers you are done in like 5 minutes.

Had a case that godaddy deleted a account from a customer by accident, they restored the account within 3 days but all the data was gone. They had it on a backup but to restore from backup would cost around 200 dollar, when they deleted it in the first place.

Not to start about all the bad reviews about godaddy on the internet.

Its NOdaddy for me.

mj1256 Friend

there are some cheap ones that are good,

so far, hostgator has been excellent and they know joomla and their CS actually support it, and their servers are set up correctly, none of that shared hosting crap!

gdhosting Friend

mj1256,

I would really like to work with you on this. If you message me with the domain name on the account, I would be happy to look in to this further.

Sincerely,

mj1256 Friend

think of it this way

what takes me 15 minutes on a real host takes hours of finding work arounds on godaddy

can you make joomlapack and joomlacloner work

can you make it so that htaccess files work correctly with the proper syntax

can you make it so that zip files can be expanded on the server

It took me 8 hours to get the htaccess files to work, and finally, the CS agent admitted that the FAQ’s were WRONG, and that all the info I was given needed to be updated. I get between $65 and $100 dollars per hour, all that time was lost,

I’ve spend hours trying to get joomlapack to work, all that time and income was lost, to manually download the site and the DB, takes hours, joomlapack takes 5 minutes. As I test i tried to restore the site into a a subfolder, and guess what, I could not import the backup of the db I made. This guys site has no backup.

He chose your company even though I said no. This has caused me time and money. Their is no price a client could pay me to use godaddy again.

Go to any forum and you will find nothing but complaints and problems about using joomla at godaddy. The sites that do work well are simple staic html sites, as soon as you try to add any kind of more robust architecture and functionality, godday produces problems.

I did get the site to work, artio SEO/SEF to work, the htaccess 301 redirect to work, but when you arbitrarily change file permissions, you crashed the site,.Why do admin make changes without permission. One day they moved the domin to the shared root, you can’t have two websites in the same folder. Who had to fix it, me, and for no compensation. And then one day an admin modified nd moved the htacess file, WHY THE HELL DID HE DO THAT. I had to redo everything.

I am very very experienced and know what I need to do, what I want, and how to do it.

I have over 180 sites on 5 different hosts and godaddy is the only one with these issues ( i have one site there), and when I research and ask others about godaddy, i find that these issues are not unique to me.

Can you fix your whole hosting setup

And now you want to work with me on this, who pays me for this time???

I do business consulting, godaddy can hire me as a consultant and I will prepare a proposal and plan for fixing this for a fee.

and why the hell would you admin change the file permissions 🙁

Like I said, godaddy is for beginners, experienced web professionals use real hosting

bennitos Friend

If i would be you i would just move the site to one of the other 4 hosting providers you have experiance with. You know how it works on those.

Its so frustrating to find out that the most simple things wont work. In the start you think you did something wrong by yourself. As it works without problems on other sites right. So you keep going over and over your settings till you realsise its a godaddy issue.

The worst part is you dont know when it ends. Maybe they will help you out now getting joomlapack etc working. But maybe over a couple weeks you want to install something else simple and it starts over again. And i woulndt expect any support from them next time. The only reason they want you “help” you now is because topics like this cost them costomers.

Best decission i ever made was moving the site from godaddy. Registered a new domain on a different provider with the same name only a different subdomain so http://www.mysite.nl at goddaddy and http://www.mysite.net at the other provider. Move everything to the new domain.

Then in godaddy’s admin panel set Site Redirection to the new domain, so all old users automaticly go to your new domain. I didnt trust them to do a domain move to the new provider in the start.

Later i moved the old domain name to the new one and in the end i removed the http://www.mysite.net domain.

This should save you alot of work, time and frustration and the future.

The client wont understand why they have pay unexpected so you can end up getting nothing for your work so i believe its in your best interest to just move.

markb1439 Friend

<blockquote>so far, hostgator has been excellent and they know joomla and their CS actually support it, and their servers are set up correctly, none of that shared hosting crap!</blockquote>

I’m not sure what you mean by “none of that shared hosting crap”…the bulk of HostGator’s business is shared hosting.

mj1256 Friend

bennitos
    <blockquote>If i would be you i would just move the site to one of the other 4 hosting providers</blockquote>
    obvious solution, client won’t do it, end result, i dropped the client

<blockquote>Its so frustrating to find out that the most simple things wont work. In the start you think you did something wrong by yourself. As it works without problems on other sites right. So you keep going over and over your settings till you realize its a godaddy issue.</blockquote>

I never thought it was me, I knew it in advance, I could not get the client to budge

<blockquote>The worst part is you dont know when it ends</blockquote>
    it does not end, the more complicated the site becomes, the more issues we all run into, many of the hosting issues posted here are about godaddy sites. Its all about the upsell, to get the functionality you need for a real functional robust website, you need to purchase a higher level hosting package.

<blockquote>Best decision i ever made was moving the site from godaddy. </blockquote>
    good for you

<blockquote> I didnt trust them to do a domain move to the new provider in the start.</blockquote>
    I don’t either.

<blockquote>The client wont understand why they have pay unexpected so you can end up getting nothing for your work so i believe its in your best interest to just move.</blockquote>

I could not get him to move or any more money out if him as the clients simpleton friends are happy with their terrible site builder sites or staic frntpage websites. These people actually believe that the godaddy analytic/stats program is telling them they get 500,000 unique visitors a year. NO WAY. The client listened to his friends, not me, I dumped him. His simpleton friends could never build sites like we build with joomla.

markb1439
    <blockquote>none of that shared hosting crap</blockquote>
    your correct, but what I was referring to is at godaddy if you get basic hosting, all of your websites share the same folder. You know how in a normal linux hosting you put your site in public_html, and that every site has its own file structure and its own public_html, at godaddy all the websites go into the same public_html, they do not get their own. So you have to build your site in a subfolder and then redirect the domain to each folder using the htaccess file, but all the sites share the same htaccess file and the same php.in.

Shared hosting is fine, shared folders is crap

markb1439 Friend

Ah, I understand about the “shared” hosting.

I got tired of 1&1, etc., so I got a dedicated server (then another) with the goal of gaining more control and performance, and it evolved into a hosting business of its own. The main objective was to get away from those crowded, shared servers, and it’s been a blessing. The business is small and referral-based (generally friends’, family members’ and colleagues’ sites), so we don’t ever crowd our servers like they do.

If you ever have the chance to go to that level, even if it’s a VPS or a reseller account, I highly recommend it. You’re much more in control that way.

mj1256 Friend

gdhosting
    i went to ther help center, its nonsense, if you were a compliant host, everything that i have done on other hosts would have worked at godaddy, but because your services are proprietary, I had to spend hours digging through your help center.

And here is what happened, because of my knowing what I am doing, it was discovered that the info on the help center was wrong and it was changed after I pointed it out to a supervisor. It was Blatantly wrong and it was corrected because of me and my being a pain in the ass to CS.

But, so what, the change for what i found was made to a proprietary code syntax that would only work at godaddy and no other hosting company. SO, anyone else who has worked with compliant hosting companies would still have to scrape your help center to get the proprietary code that only works at godaddy.

mj1256 Friend

markb1439

I have a dedicated server at rochen and a reseller account at hostgator, both have been fantastic

client refused to let me host

i eventually walked

gdhosting Friend

mj1256,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided. It certainly sounds like you are having quite a few issues. We’d be more then happy to address these issues with you. We will be in contact soon.

Also, we do allow zip files to be expanded on our server using the File Manager in the Hosting Control Center. For more on this, please see this article.

Kindest Regards,

mj1256 Friend

you’ve missed my point, the issues are not unique to me,but to all joomla customers.

getting my site to work correctly solves nothing, making godaddy a compliant host, solves everyones problems

again, you are asking me to put time into learning the proprietary noncompliant system when everything works at others host in minutes with no learning curve or investment in time

the article listed does not address the joomlapack/joomlacloner or other issues. This is working outside of the joomla system and does not solve the backup issue and shows the continued lack of understandiong of joomla and the joomla community. And again, you can only unzip after user spends time researching and learning how to use your system, what i am saying is that their is a system that is universal accepted by other hosts, I should not have to learn a proprietary system.

Joomla is not an obscure or fringe CMS website building architecture, it is NUMBER 1, godaddy must work within the realm of Joomla, joomla does not need to,. As joomla is designed to work universally on compliant hosting soulution, it cannot isolate itself to work on a noncompliant proprietary system.

markb1439
    I always use my own dedicated server and reseller account and turn down godaddy jobs

and5rey Friend

Many people on webmaster forums say that Godaddy is good for domains, but not for hosting. I register my domains with them, but host elsewhere.

mj1256 Friend

I recieved a phone call for a godaddy representative this evening and spend considerable time review the issues that joomla incurs with godaddy hosting. I was quite impressed at their interest and after the call I am optimistic that they will at least attempt to solve some of these issues.

Discussed were

• the zipping and unzipping of files on their server
    • the problem of shared folder hosting
    • moving fully developed sites to godaddy using joomlacloner/joomlapack
    • getting joomlacloner/joomlapack to work
    • the proprietary server architecture
    • PHPSuExec and joomla security and file permissions
    • the backing up and restoring of MySQL databases
    • the proprietary syntax for their PHP.ini and .htaccess usage
    • the inaccuracy of their analytics program

Now we wait and see what happens, the representative promised to get back to me in a week or so, I will update the post at that time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

This topic contains 39 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  rkprasad 12 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum