Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,

Can you please explain to me what JA NEWS FRONT PAGE uses to resize pictures according to settings. At the moment JA NEWS displayes pictures but JANEWS Front page is not.

This was working fine before, but now pictures uploaded are not being copied into the resized folder.

I think my provider has done something in between with the servers etc, but wanted to find out myself firstly before going back to them as they are not that great.

Thanks for the help

Rgds
    A

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Would need a URL of your site to make sure we give you the correct answer.
    Can you provide?

Thanks,
    John.

andreast36 Friend

Hi John, thanks for the quick response to be honest i got around the problem, by copying and resizing the images manualy and putting them in the resized folder so everything looks like it is working from the url, but i wanted to get a better understanding of why the automatic resizing wasnt working.

BUt here is the url http://www.cinemaxgr.com/

andreast36 Friend

Hi there do we have any updates, i just need to understand what dependancies there are so i can either re-install the module or see if it is joomla.

So question again just in case i wasnt clear, on JA News Frontpage – it resizes picture automatically and puts it in the resizedfolder, what is used (program / engine or other ? not sure of the term here), to carry out the resizing, as it shows as though it has resized, but doesnt actually copy the image into the resized, folder neither does it resize it.

Hope this is clear

Any help appreciated, as i am trying to learn more

Thanks
    A

Andrea –
    I’m sorry you took my answer to be off topic…but it really was a direct answer to your problem.

The issue is NOT with what creates the image…which is a javascript…but with your settings and/or permissions. You can fool around with the script all you want…but I can almost guarantee you there is not an issue with the script.

If you search this forum you will find NUMEROUS posts involving the same question…and the answer is always the same:

+ check the permissions on your resize folder…set to either 775 or777.
    99.9% of the time this is the answer...as a bad permission prevents the thumbnail from being created and written to the folder.
    + check the image paths in your configuration.
    + image may be too large to resize (generally you do not want to try and resize a picture that is larger than 1280 x 800…after all it would almost fill you screen anyway at full size.)
    + image may be too small to resize (never try to resize upward…from small to large)
    + and finally…never expect resize to work on an external image. If you insert an image that site off your site via a URL…resize won’t work. The original must reside on your site in order for it to work.

This was why I was looking for the URL…so that I can give you correct answer from the list above. Since you are doing it manually, there is no way to tell…remotely anyway…what your particular issue is.

You may certainly go into the javascript … after all it’s open source … just trying to save you some time in solving the issue.

Good luck!
    John.

andreast36 Friend

John, thanks for the response.
    Its not that your answer was off topic, i guess its more so that i am just trying to build my understanding and learn more.
    I appreciate your concise answer and will try out what you suggested, it appears that the folder has permissions set to 700, looks like the hosting provider may have updated something on the servers and managed to reset all permissions back to 700, which is a bit of a pain.

Still always learning.

I will come back to you and let you know what success i have had.
    Once again thanks
    Rgds
    Andreas

Terrific! Let me know if you need further!
    John.

hengstler Friend

Is there a way not to use image resize from the JA News Frontpage-Module, I would like to use costum article image width/height ?

Kind regards from Switzerland

Stefan

jmckelvey Friend

Hello,

I can’t seem to figure out why some images resize and others do not. I am using the ja-news module that came pre-installed on topaz (quickstart).

The first couple of I tried didn’t work – so I checked and fixed the permissions.

The next two I did worked like they were supposed to.

The next two I did didn’t resize properly & only display the alt text on the front page. I go back and recheck the permissions and see the permissions are correct. I tried changing to 777 & that did not work either. The images are displaying properly in the article themselves just not on the front page.

When I look in the resized folder the file looks there in ftp but if I look at it from the media manager it just displays a link to the filename…. out of curiosity I clicked on it and all that shows up in the viewer is the link name unlike the images that had worked properly earlier.

I went ahead and manually resized the images.

Does anyone understand what has broken?

( yes I have checked the permissions about 10 times & it all is coming back 775)

jmckelvey Friend

<em>@hengstler 154662 wrote:</em><blockquote>Is there a way not to use image resize from the JA News Frontpage-Module, I would like to use costum article image width/height ?

Kind regards from Switzerland

Stefan</blockquote>
    hengstler/stefan

go into the module manager in the back end.

open up ja-news.

scroll to the bottom of the page

in the image setting parameter group change show image to hide and save the module.

That should fix your problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jmckelvey 14 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum