Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone –

I recently attended SMX West in Santa Clara and even Google’s Director of Research – Peter Norvig think that PageRank is overrated. He was not saying that it is not part of their overall ranking algorithm but it is certainly not the end all be all. Many factors go into actually calculating the final SERP’s.

He noted that Google needs to re-name PageRank as its misleading.

Hope this helps.

Sherri

Nature Prints
    Blank Note Cards

tiberguy Friend

Hi everyone, glad to be here, my first post.

The answer is yes and no, let me explain: When Google’s PR first started it was used – ideally – to reflect the importance of a given website. Google felt that other industry affiliated websites would link to your website’s subject matter. Example: If you sell peanut butter you would expect websites that sell jelly and sandwiches to also link to your website.

However, life not being perfect, many websites can link to yours without even having a super high affinity, that’s why you see less-deserving websites with a high PR and vice-versa.

So, the thing to remember is that what most webmasters want is qualified traffic, not necessarily PR. The best practice is not to become a slave to PR, but seek websites with a high affinity to yours. If a forum, join and help the membership with your expert knowledge of the subject matter.

I’m going to repeat this again because it bears repeating ==> don’t become a slave to PR

jbento Friend

<em>@penelopeb 170820 wrote:</em><blockquote>If you have google toolbar installed, you’ll be able to see PR of websites when you click into them. Try googling anything and click into the top ten results. It is not a rare sight to see a site that has PR of 2 ranking better than one that has PR 4.

It used to be the case of whoever has higher PR gets higher search engine ranking position, but not anymore these days. ;)</blockquote>

Content and relevance with the keywords rules on SERPS. A high PR site usually is an authority site, with tons of content, and not all that content is optimized for SERPS (aka, not SEOzied), that’s why in most searches you have sites with lower PR in the first positions.

But if you take a closer look, you’ll see in the first pages sites ranking for keywords that they don’t even bother to optimize (make a search for a book and you’ll see Amazon in the first pages, do a little research and you’ll see that the page from Amazon has poor SEO). They’re there because of the high PR.

If you search for Online Shopping guess what comes in 1st or 2nd place? Amazon. For this keyword, Amazon site it’s optimized, for a particular book or anything else it is not, but the high PR makes the difference.

My 10 cents.

penelopeb Friend

<em>@jbento 171176 wrote:</em><blockquote>Content and relevance with the keywords rules on SERPS. A high PR site usually is an authority site, with tons of content, and not all that content is optimized for SERPS (aka, not SEOzied), that’s why in most searches you have sites with lower PR in the first positions.

But if you take a closer look, you’ll see in the first pages sites ranking for keywords that they don’t even bother to optimize (make a search for a book and you’ll see Amazon in the first pages, do a little research and you’ll see that the page from Amazon has poor SEO). They’re there because of the high PR.

If you search for Online Shopping guess what comes in 1st or 2nd place? Amazon. For this keyword, Amazon site it’s optimized, for a particular book or anything else it is not, but the high PR makes the difference.

My 10 cents.</blockquote>

What you’re saying is true, it’s like googling ‘click here’ and what do who do we see in the first spot? Adobe. If you click into the link you’ll find out that you cannot find ‘click here’ on the page, so obviously no seo has been done for ‘click here’. The only reason why Adobe showed up first is because of the massive amount of backlink that says ‘click here to download adobe now’.

While it is true that SUPER well established websites like Amazon and Adobe have the advantage over most websites, it is not fair to compare a giant with a dwarf. Say if two websites are both on the same scale in terms of size and standard. The difference is that one of them is more SEOed both onpage and offpage. This way the one that has done a better job in SEO will appear above the other, even if the other site has a higher PR.

paulcamp Friend

while Google repeats over and over that PR doesn’t count any longer people still seems to be very obsessed with checking site’s pr. with so many new players in the search game like real-time and social search old info might be not as relevant

luchopas Friend

Of course PR still counts but not in the way you think it counts, i have seen many websites with PR 0 in google top 10 over other pages with PR 4, but the difference is that the PR0 website has applied SEO techniques and PR have constructed their PR in abse of time and not precisely SEO, so if this PR4 puts now in campaign for SEO, they work inmediatly beat the PR0 site above them, because of their High PR + SEO.

kashoboy Friend

I agree PageRank is misleading and it should renamed some like Page Authority. Becasue The word Rank in offten lead us to think rank for site in SERPs.(Search Engine Results page).

PageRank is actually an Authority for particular page in a website it is determined by quality content and quality links which points to that particular site based on the Google’s Algorithm and it is valued between 0 to 10. The higher the rank (ie. 0 to 10) the more Authority for that web-page and this algorithm is not related to ranking in SERPs.

hcarter Friend

this is absolutely a million dollar question that nobody yet knows the answer for, but most experts agree it’s based on backlink quality, and how interesting and unique the site content is … you can get a really good hint by observing all the data on google analytics

jacquelinestarling Friend

The system, we will never know. I have one Joomla site that I put up a few months ago that was only 1 year aged that is now a PR 5 in it’s first update. I have a 6 year old domain that I have done 3 times the linking on and which has all of the same and better links and is now a PR 3…. So, not all makes sense. I know some cool things Google likes that I did, but it seems like a lot of credit for those little things from Google.

penelopeb Friend

PR5 in the first update is amazing. Sometimes I really think the G algorithm is greatly flawed, but no choice… got to somehow get in the good books of this giant of the century. Good luck to all webmasters and those who practice SEO.

andremarkus Friend

<em>@jacquelinestarling 173890 wrote:</em><blockquote>The system, we will never know. I have one Joomla site that I put up a few months ago that was only 1 year aged that is now a PR 5 in it’s first update. I have a 6 year old domain that I have done 3 times the linking on and which has all of the same and better links and is now a PR 3…. So, not all makes sense. I know some cool things Google likes that I did, but it seems like a lot of credit for those little things from Google.</blockquote>

PR5 in first update? Now, that’s amazing! Lot of SEO, I guess, and smart SEO. Maybe you could share some tips?

markodnv Friend

Google describes PageRank:
    “ PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page’s value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves “important” weigh more heavily and help to make other pages “important”.

Well, basically the PR is more beneficial to site(s) your linking to rather than your own.

markodnv Friend

Some interesting fact about Google PR.

The name “PageRank” is a trademark of Google, and the PageRank process has been patented (U.S. Patent 6,285,999). However, the patent is assigned to Stanford University and not to Google. Google has exclusive license rights on the patent from Stanford University. The university received 1.8 million shares of Google in exchange for use of the patent; the shares were sold in 2005 for $336 million.

So whats the deal?

jdavis Friend

I sore a video the other week with one of the head honchos from Google and he was stressing that you shouldn’t get to worked up about PR, although the term ‘page rank’ sounds quite definitive it’s actually only one of hundreds of factors affecting your Google rankings.

joshuagaler Friend

As per my knowledge there is a set of rules which is been followed by every search engine. Google follows its own algorithm. There are many things to be consider to give page rank like quality backlink, onpage search engine optimization, offpage search engine optimization. If the site qualifies all this then competition is been checked and accordingly the page rank is given.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

This topic contains 48 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  nidhivyas 8 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum