Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’m just wondering . . . . for those who have utilized their Joomla template for sales, ecommerce, services, etc. (other than the template clubs, of course) – what kind of success have you realized?

I assume most use VirtueMart as their shopping cart solution – correct?

I’m just curious … I see a lot of Joomla/VirtueMart based ecommerce sites, but I haven’t really seen any success stories based on a Joomla/VrtueMart architecture.

TomC Moderator

No one ???

:confused:

teetide Friend

The lone marginally successful vote is mine. My partner and I have done OK with a Teline based community news site. 100% of our revenue comes from the sale of ads to local merchants. Not a windfall by any means, but not bad for a hobby that requires so little work. It covers both of our car payments, our gas, and provides us each with a blackberry and laptop.

I’ve never used VirtueMart or sold anything on a Joomla based site except advertising, classifieds, and listings in a business directory.

ndmiharu Friend

I am using Joomla! to create some websites: entertainment, funny, resources…, promote them then put AdSense and other PPC, CPM programs on my sites. It looks quite promising. I believe I will able to make $x,000 per month in near future. 😎

ErikThorsen Friend

My vote goes for marginally successful. However, I would have wanted the option of “ok, made some money on it” instead of marginally successful.

I am using only Virtuemart for shopping solutions but see that Adsense is what brings in the bucks really, unless you have a very segmented branch or a very good trustful group of shoppers…

One of the sites I have made generates about 100.000 USD a year I think, which is quite good. Sky is the limit with Joomla. So you only need that one great idea…

mfcphil Friend

Would this not depend on what your selling rather than which template or programe you have used? :confused:

teetide Friend

Actually mfcphil, it depends on how effective you are at selling which is precisely why I spend 99% of my time on marketing instead of worrying with stuff like template customization.

It amazes me how many people think if they just build a pretty website the money will come rolling in. After all, a website is only a starting point . . . the magic is in what you do with it from there. Right Tom?

Make some phone calls, knock on some doors, have lunch with people. Your sales will improve regardless of what CMS you’re running or what template you’re using.

ErikThorsen Friend

Content is all you need. The better content, your design can actually be trash if you want. But it need to functional, with great content and of course, payment/shopping need to work seemlessly… So design is the least important function… 🙂

Agree with TeeTide. Spend some time “offline”, this is your best sales “argument”. If you’re selling products that is… IF you are a blogger, write some outrageous stuff and “fool” some larger newspaper to write about it. Instant success…

TomC Moderator

<em>@mfcphil 49273 wrote:</em><blockquote>Would this not depend on what your selling rather than which template or programe you have used? :confused:</blockquote>
    Well, yes – you are correct – in addition to marketing.

Nevertheless, with all of the customer example stores and showcasing I see on both JA and the VirtueMart site, I rarely see any “success stories” – which is why I was asking in correlation to the Joomla + VirtueMart pairing.

TomC Moderator

<em>@TeeTide 49279 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    It amazes me how many people think if they just build a pretty website the money will come rolling in. After all, a website is only a starting point . . . the magic is in what you do with it from there. Right Tom?
    </blockquote>
    EXACTLY !!!

😎

mfcphil Friend

<em>@TeeTide 49279 wrote:</em><blockquote>Actually mfcphil, it depends on how effective you are at selling which is precisely why I spend 99% of my time on marketing instead of worrying with stuff like template customization.

Make some phone calls, knock on some doors, have lunch with people. Your sales will improve regardless of what CMS you’re running or what template you’re using.</blockquote>

I do agree, I spend a large amount of time self advertising and sending out emails trying to promote my site….it just so happens I think there is no harm having a pretty shop window. 🙂

One thing I can not get money from is adsence…I would love a way to make a steady few quid on that.

TomC Moderator

<em>@mfcphil 49310 wrote:</em><blockquote>I do agree, I spend a large amount of time self advertising and sending out emails trying to promote my site….it just so happens I think there is no harm having a pretty shop window. 🙂

</blockquote>
    I think you are absolutely 100% correct . . . . first impressions go a long way – especially on a visual medium such as the internet. Caring about the appearance of your eCommerce storefront is monumentally important – in my opinion – to grabbing the potential customer’s attention. Of course, having quality content will keep them there and, hopefully, purchase product.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum