Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Before Using this Tutorial: In Joomla Administrative panel, make sure ALL SEO settings are set to “NO”…”Search Engine Friendly URLS”, “mod_rewrite”, and “add suffix…”

1. Open htaccess.txt on local hard drive using Dreamweaver.

2. Uncomment (remove the “#” if it exists from in front of) “Options +FollowSymLinks”

3. Add the line: “Options -MultiViews” just under “Options +FollowSymLinks” … so it appears as:

Options +FollowSymLinks
    Options -MultiViews

NOTE: This above step is the one thing that most all “remedies” on this forum seem to miss…and has caused tons of restless hours.

4. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteEngine On”

5. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteBase /”

6. In Dreamweaver – NOT ON THE SERVER – rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess. If the rename change took, you should now notice a change in the icon appearing before the file name in Dreamweaver. htaccess.txt has a “notepad” looking icon…whereas .htaccess will have an icon that has a blue pencil in it. If you change the name, and the “notepad” icon remains…reopen it and save it again until the blue pencil icon shows.

7. On the Remote Server, delete any .htaccess and/or htaccess.txt file in your Joomla instance directory. I’ve seen instances where overwriting a file, especially of this type, do not work. So delete them out before you upload to make sure what you send will be what arrives.

8. Upload your .htaccess file from your computer to the directory or subdirectory on the server in which your Joomla instance resides. If you have a deluxe account and run several different Joomla instances in various subdirectories, then you should have an .htaccess file in each of the subdirectories. Putting one in the root of your main account directory will not do anything.

9. Once uploaded, double check to make sure your .htaccess has an icon with a blue pencil in it. If you are seeing a “notepad” looking icon…then the file is being seen as a raw text file and will not work.

10. In your administration panel enable “Search Engine Friendly URLS” and “mod_rewrite”…enjoy your working pages…and then go take care of your partner who you’ve ignored these many sleepless nights trying to crack this nut.

John.

mj1256 Friend

I spent 3 days working with a site on godaddy, despite my recommendation to use a real host.

you got it right and thanks for the tutorials

as for godaddy
    Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA

as for everyone else, pick a host that conforms to standard server architecture.

add to the tutorial the syntax for a 301 nonwww to www redirect for godday is

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomainname.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomainname.com/$1 [R=301,NC]

as you can see, this is not compliant either, they just invented their own syntax

narezina Friend

<em>@jbrett 77259 wrote:</em><blockquote>Before Using this Tutorial: In Joomla Administrative panel, make sure ALL SEO settings are set to “NO”…”Search Engine Friendly URLS”, “mod_rewrite”, and “add suffix…”

1. Open htaccess.txt on local hard drive using Dreamweaver.

2. Uncomment (remove the “#” if it exists from in front of) “Options +FollowSymLinks”

3. Add the line: “Options -MultiViews” just under “Options +FollowSymLinks” … so it appears as:

Options +FollowSymLinks
    Options -MultiViews

NOTE: This above step is the one thing that most all “remedies” on this forum seem to miss…and has caused tons of restless hours.

4. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteEngine On”

5. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteBase /”

6. In Dreamweaver – NOT ON THE SERVER – rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess. If the rename change took, you should now notice a change in the icon appearing before the file name in Dreamweaver. htaccess.txt has a “notepad” looking icon…whereas .htaccess will have an icon that has a blue pencil in it. If you change the name, and the “notepad” icon remains…reopen it and save it again until the blue pencil icon shows.

7. On the Remote Server, delete any .htaccess and/or htaccess.txt file in your Joomla instance directory. I’ve seen instances where overwriting a file, especially of this type, do not work. So delete them out before you upload to make sure what you send will be what arrives.

8. Upload your .htaccess file from your computer to the directory or subdirectory on the server in which your Joomla instance resides. If you have a deluxe account and run several different Joomla instances in various subdirectories, then you should have an .htaccess file in each of the subdirectories. Putting one in the root of your main account directory will not do anything.

9. Once uploaded, double check to make sure your .htaccess has an icon with a blue pencil in it. If you are seeing a “notepad” looking icon…then the file is being seen as a raw text file and will not work.

10. In your administration panel enable “Search Engine Friendly URLS” and “mod_rewrite”…enjoy your working pages…and then go take care of your partner who you’ve ignored these many sleepless nights trying to crack this nut.

John.</blockquote>
    If Add suffix to URLs is NO, does not work!!! Blue pencil story is noting important, especially if we use different kind of editors, and different versions of FTP programs!

boatsign Friend

Thank you so very much. Sleepless days and nights indeed.

I would rate this a twenty or a thirty if I could.

bennitos Friend

<em>@mj1256 77273 wrote:</em><blockquote>

as for godaddy
    Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha HA

</blockquote>

Thx that just made my day 🙂

imsleepy Friend

Followed all of your instructions… even Yes to add suffix (which I didn’t want but did anyway) did not work. Tried several times. I have my installation in a subdirectory, is there an additional step since it is not in my root directory? If so, you may want to include that in this tutorial.

I get page not found, page not found, page not found. Not good. Goes to my 404 page for my HTML site (not even in the same directory). Not good.

Update:

I took a shot in the dark. If the Joomla installation is in a subdirectory there is one additional step….

Your step 5. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteBase /”
    After the / you need to add the name of the directory you have it in for instance, RewriteBase /Joomla

Problem solved!

mj1256 Friend

its not you, godaddy does not work, save yourself time, find a new host

imsleepy Friend

<em>@mj1256 109240 wrote:</em><blockquote>its not you, godaddy does not work, save yourself time, find a new host</blockquote>
    I have been using GoDaddy since they first offered hosting many years ago. I have tried other hosts but for dependability and price, they can’t be beat. My site is working perfectly with the SEF urls after using the instructions above.

I think you will find that all hosts have their quirks but with a little patience and carefully following the instructions, you can figure it all out. My only advice to anyone with ANY host would be to install Joomla yourself and not use something like Fantastico, or other “automated” installers. You have much more control over the installation that way.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@mj1256 77273 wrote:</em><blockquote>I spent 3 days working with a site on godaddy, despite my recommendation to use a real host.</blockquote> Joomla does not mean the world in the internet business. To call GD not a real host, kind of short thought, as like I said, Joomla is a free open source goodie and still not the professional stuff like many commercial CMS. That is why there are Joomla hosts, they work around the issues caused when using Joomla, that is typical for OS, not all works with what is basics. Still, mostly you can always use Joomla on any host that supports the requirements, but as I said, Joomla is not the world, actually, also when it is good and nice…:D

mj1256 Friend

I think after spending time with godaddy and having everything I believed validated by them has made me extremely biased to them.

Do people here post about issues with, Rochen, Hostgator, Siteground, Blue host and others, no, its almost always godaddy that people have the issues with. that is not to say that the more experienced joomla users have not had success at godaddy, but for the novice, its been a really bad scene, and the posts here support that.

reachthesky Friend

Hey mate thanks for the tutorial. this will work with many hostings not only godaddy but all hostings that work via secureserver’s network 😀

Cheers

el patron Friend

<em>@imsleepy 109124 wrote:</em><blockquote>Followed all of your instructions… even Yes to add suffix (which I didn’t want but did anyway) did not work. Tried several times. I have my installation in a subdirectory, is there an additional step since it is not in my root directory? If so, you may want to include that in this tutorial.

I get page not found, page not found, page not found. Not good. Goes to my 404 page for my HTML site (not even in the same directory). Not good.

Update:

I took a shot in the dark. If the Joomla installation is in a subdirectory there is one additional step….

Your step 5. Uncomment (remove the # if one exists) “RewriteBase /”
    After the / you need to add the name of the directory you have it in for instance, RewriteBase /Joomla

Problem solved!</blockquote>
    ———————————————————————————————-
    I am ALSO setting up a site on A godaddy shared server. Following the initial instructions as well as changing ‘RewriteBase /{folder_name}”. It would not work until I removed {folder_name}. I can’t explain why it didn’t work for me. Also I did not need to check Add Suffix to URL’s.

NOTE: after you upload .httaccess to your domains root director YOU NEED TO WAIT AN HOUR+ for it to take affect….after the new .httaccess has been moved by godaddy all subsequent updates will take place immediately.
    Thanks everybody for supplying this great info…now the site is SEO!

hosteltrekker Friend

Can’t seem to get the SEO settings to work. Followed your tutorial but now on my site no matter what page I click on it always shows the front page. Have a look http://www.hosteltrekker.com/ and here http://www.hosteltrekker.com/travel-insurance.html and all the rest of the links just show the front page. Any ideas? and please, if your response is to get a new host please don’t reply.

kyle32superboiler1988 Friend

Ive not had any problems with the seo issue and godaddy, but I did want to say that I think they get a really bad rap. First of all, I hate there control panel. In trying to over simplify things, they actually complicate things. There customer service might as well be a talking version of Google because all they do is refer you to the same godaddy articles you can find yourself in 30 seconds by doing a google search, and sometimes they come off as arrogant and cocky, but I imagine thats a luck of the draw sort of thing when you call any customer service. But, and the reason I say they get a bad rap, is that we all know this going in, so at some point you have to blame yourself for using them. My company uses them so I am always dealing with them, but I think Ipage is really good for cheapies. Cheers.:)

John Wesley Brett Moderator

<em>@hosteltrekker 227745 wrote:</em><blockquote>now on my site no matter what page I click on it always shows the front page. </blockquote>

Sorry but I cannot replicate your problem.
    All pages appear different to me.
    Has this been resolved?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  pharmaloids 8 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum