Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

One of the issues that many of us hope and want for with regard to the development of these templates is the functionality factor – be it modules, components or plugins. While there are a good number of open source/free modules and components out there, there are a great many higher quality extensions that require a license fee. As we know . . . fees cost money, and template developers are not always in a position to incur the additional expense many of these components (in addition to other overhead and business expenses).

Therefore, a possible idea I had was a kind of community effort and/or “pool” of sorts toward the purchase of developer licenses for the more quality components – toward the goal of JoomlART integrating these functions into future templates. If enough people were interested and chose to contribute, the expense of the purchase of the relative license would be somewhat minimal (i.e. the power of numbers).

One of the first steps, of course, would be to identify which fee based extensions are most desired – i.e. JContentSubscriotion?, JReviews?, iJoomla?, Marketplace? Other PHP script to be converted into a Joomla component?, etc.

Of course, there would then need to be a separate account for such contributions so that the funds for such are specifically utilized for this purpose.

What do you think? Is this kind of cumulative effort even possible?

:confused:

Menalto Friend

Who gonna support it?
    JA or the component developer?

Hung Dinh Friend

The component integration is an idea that I myselft was very interested in. However, integration with 3rd party component can be a bad idea when the support for such component is handled by the component developers. What happens if the developer may produce new version, apply new changes without testing with JA template?

The better way to bring JA templates to a new level is to develop JA exetensions and we control the integration process.

TomC Moderator

Great point, Hung . . . Didn’t think of that.

What are the chances of your finding some quality coders and JA getting back into the extension development game?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 15 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum