Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi guys
    new guy on the block.
    I recently plunged in to joomla and im working on my new website as we speak.
    I have experience in webdesign (focus on design) but my coding is very limited.
    Things are going slow and i have alot off questions, so you will find me here soon:D
    But i have to start somewhere so here is my first question.

Im looking in having an simpel clean client area that would fit in well with the JA sulfur look.
    I would like to be able:

1. Make accounts for clients (the dont have to make them, but maybe usefull…)
    2. Clients can view private projects (articles,image gallery,video projects)
    3. If possible an easy way of communicating about the project, messages (with email update)
    4. Upload and download files.

All of this should be very simple and clean, i want to keep the sulfur template look.

Ive been searching about how to make a client area, but the only solution that i could find was the Community Builder for joomla. Its seems very populair, but i have no idea if this is the right tool for the job. I installed the extension and with help form a tutorial i have a login menu … But now im stuck with it… were to go from “ registert user “to “ registert users area“

Anyway i was just wondering if you guys have some suggestions or tips on
    how to acomplish a working client area with or without the community builder
    Im open to any suggestions.

I appolize if this question has been asked before, i dind find alot of information
    and yes this is probably a newby question;)

Thanks for your help!

Best regards Michael

jay973 Friend

Hi Michael, welcome to the forums! 😀

I would strongly recommend looking at Project Fork as this as it has all you need.

It can be integrated with CB if you wish but it isn’t necessary. The style of it can also be changed easily with the CSS or you can use one of the other templates that are available for it.

Best of all, the main part is FREE. There are some add-ons that cost very little but they are not required for use.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Jason.

michaelc Friend

Hi Jason
    Thank you for the reply!
    Ive been looking at projectfork and on first glance i seems to be
    very advanced and focuses on the communication aspect. The inferface
    is complex (for clients). Maybe this can be reduced?
    And I dont see (demo) ways off presenting the projects, (image gallery,videoplayer) …
    Maybe this works with extra plugins?

Anyway i really appreciate the help, but i think projectfork won`t work for my site.

Perhaps there is something else that might do the trick?

Thanks!

michaelc Friend

I think im going to give it a try and see were i end up,
    i will need more time to make a judgement so thanks again Jason!

update; after trying and searching for info i found this senctence that really explains why projectfork is not really what i want.

~~I have to have something that my clients can access from the logged in status of my site.~~

So with that sentence in mind, are there alternatives?

jay973 Friend

Hi,

That’s going to be tricky as I would have thought that to enable:

1. Make accounts for clients
    2. Clients can view private projects
    3. If possible an easy way of communicating about the project, messages (with email update)

These would necessitate the client being logged in otherwise everybody would see everyone else’s projects.

You could try Basecamp, they have a free 30 day trial available so you can see if it meets your needs. Doing it this way would not require Clients to log into your Joomla site but whichever method you choose Clients will have to log in in some form or another in order to maintain privacy.

To present Projects, it’s usually easier to create sub-domains/ sub-folders and load the project into them. Then email the client with the URL so they can check it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jay973 14 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum