Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello

Can anyone tell me where to change the width of sidebar?

Thanks

Scott Lavelle Friend

There is a file in this path: /templates/ja_t3v3_blank/tpls/blocks that determines this. It depends from there which layout you are using. For example, if you are using the mainbody-content-left layout, you can change the lines that look like this:

"two_sidebars": {
    "default" : [ "span8" , "span4" , "span4" , "span4" ],

Just change the span numbers, where span1 is 1/12 of the width of the page. So in this case, what you would get would be a component area of 8 columns (and the “message” block) and the sidebar-1 of 4 columns and sidebar-2 of 4 columns.

At least this is what I’ve figured out so far. If you want to get rid of the message block, you need to do so in the php code below this section…

This seems to be one of the cases where, even though the layout screen seems to be a bit easier, for anything more complex than variations on the standards, there’s seemingly even more code editing than before, where in v2, all of this was handled within the layout tab of the framework in the xml file. Maybe no easier because it was still editing code, at least it was code that was exposed in the template manager, not yet another folder of files. Doesn’t really bother me, but definitely adds a but to the learning curve.

Does that help?

Scott Lavelle - Technical Resource Solutions, LLC
    Certified Joomla Administrator

rgblogs Friend

Hi…Thanks for help, but still not working.

There are four span – one for content, two for sidebars and what is the fourth one?

What should be the total of span numbers?

Scott Lavelle Friend

It looks to me like the first number defines the component (content) and the “message block” above it. The next span is for the mast-col above the right columns, the next two are the two sidebars. Again – this is me playing around with this a bit last night. There are some confusing aspects of this for me so far, but that much at least seemed like I was able to get it consistent.

I actually took out the “message block” and the “mast-col” to make it a bit more predictable. To do this, there are a few lines to remove from the php section below the json section at the top.

I got rid of these:

<jdoc:include type="message" />

and

<?php if ($this->countModules($mastcol)) : ?>

<!-- MASSCOL 1 -->

<div class="ja-mastcol ja-mastcol-1">

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="<?php $this->_p($mastcol) ?>" style="JAxhtml" />

</div>

<!-- //MASSCOL 1 -->

<?php endif ?>

This left me with numbers that at least made a bit more sense. I really do look for forward to more definitive documentation about how to manipulate all of this and which parts affect which other parts, whether in the code itself, or the GUI.

Hope this helps. Please share if you have any other discoveries.

rgblogs Friend

Yeah…thanks. got it now.

It is strange that in back-end, we can change width of spotlight blocks just by dragging. Same could be done for sidebar also.

I think you dont need to delete code for mastcol, disabling it to none from back-end template manager will be good.

Scott Lavelle Friend

I think you dont need to delete code for mastcol, disabling it to none from back-end template manager will be good.

Right. I was playing in the code at the time. You can’t do the same with the “message” above the content and I was trying to make more sense of the numbers – since I was in the code at the time, it made sense to do it there.

Good point, though. I would love that all of it, including adding new rows, changing all widths, etc were all done in the same place. Being split between two places is just a little weird.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Lavelle 11 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum