Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello all – I posed this same question over on the Joomla forum as well…

I am trying to figure out an issue I’ve run into after a Joomla upgrade to v 3.4.5. The site was previously on 3.3.6 and was working fine there. I do the 3.4.5 upgrade and I’m no longer able to see any of the articles on menu items that are of the type “single article”. If I create a menu item with type of Category Blog and select the category of the problem articles, they all show as I’d expect. When I restore my backup on the same host back to 3.3.6, the site works again and these articles are all viewable.

I’m using the T3 Framework with a T3 Blank template. I’ve also tried switching to the Protostar template and that doesn’t allow the articles to be seen either.

Here’s what I’ve discovered:
    The T3 Framework uses an override of com_content for the /article/default.php file. This is at the Framework/Plugin level, not specific to the template I’ve made. Renaming this folder so that there is no override of com_content has no effect. I still cannot see the article content.

If I look in that file, I see this line:

<?php if ($params->get('access-view')): ?>

After this is the section of the article that I cannot see. If I change that if statement so that it will read that the current person viewing the site does NOT have access, the content is displayed – like this:

<?php if (!$params->get('access-view')): ?>

Note the ! in there to make a NOT. Again, this allows the page to load properly, so I feel pretty confident that it is a permissions problem of some kind.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
    – Cleared all caches (back and front end) and tried different browsers
    – Checked Article permissions=Public
    – Checked Category permissions = Public
    – Checked Menu Item permission = Public
    – Created a new Category, new article, new menu item = same problem
    – Got a copy of ACL Manager installed and have run through the Diagnostics on that, fixing all issues it found = same problem
    – Used Akeeba Admin Tools to Fix permissions, purge sessions, Clean Temp directory and Repair & Optimize tables

I have other sites that are on 3.3.6 that use the same T3 Framework. I upgraded the Framework to 2.5.1, then upgraded the Site to 3.4.5 and those sites work fine. This one is the only one where I’m having this issue. There are not unusual or different components on this site than the others where I’ve not had any issues with the upgrade.

This is a production site that needs to get moved up to 3.4.5 for obvious security reasons. I have a copy of the site on the now-broken 3.4.5 version to mess with so I can figure it out while the real site continues to run on 3.3.6.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this seemingly permissions issue on this site? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Scott Lavelle - Technical Resource Solutions, LLC
    Certified Joomla Administrator

Scott Lavelle Friend

Update: I have gone back on my test copy to 3.3.6 and started to go up from there step by step.

Going from 3.3.6 to 3.4.0 is successful. Going from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 breaks it. I found another post on the Joomla forum saying that they had the identical issue as this and copying the full installation of 3.4.1 over the upgraded one resolved the issue. In my case, it does not.

Still looking for ideas on this.

Scott Lavelle Friend

Update: I have gone back on my test copy to 3.3.6 and started to go up from there step by step.

Going from 3.3.6 to 3.4.0 is successful. Going from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 breaks it. I found another post on the Joomla forum saying that they had the identical issue as this and copying the full installation of 3.4.1 over the upgraded one resolved the issue. In my case, it does not.

Still looking for ideas on this.

Scott Lavelle Friend

Ok – so this is SOLVED.

In the end, it was a component/plugin problem. But it wasn’t due to an incompatibility, as I use this component on all the sites I build and others that I just performed this same upgrade to Joomla 3.4.5 on worked just fine with it.

The issdue turned out to be BreezingForms (which is pretty awesome if you haven’t used it).

The troubleshooting continued and even though I seemed to have resolved that it was a permission problem of some kind (as above), I decided to unpublish all of the plugins on the site, not really expecting it to fix the problem. The problem went away.

So I enabled them all again, then limited to content plugins only and turned those off, which also fixed it. Then I just started doing one at a time until I found that the BreezingForms content plugin (which lets you show a form in an article) was the one causing the problem. So I uninstalled it and installed it fresh. Still had a problem.

So I updated BreezingForms to the latest version – even though it was the same plugin version within the new component version. The problem was still there.

So I completely removed the component and reinstalled it. NOW the problem was gone. So I updated to Joomla 3.4.5 and it was still working.

I replicated this same thing on the live site with the complete removal and re-adding of the component and content plugin and now all is well.

I hope that the re-counting of this will help someone in the future even if it doesn’t have to do with BreezingForms specifically.

Scott Lavelle Friend

Ok – so this is SOLVED.

In the end, it was a component/plugin problem. But it wasn’t due to an incompatibility, as I use this component on all the sites I build and others that I just performed this same upgrade to Joomla 3.4.5 on worked just fine with it.

The issdue turned out to be BreezingForms (which is pretty awesome if you haven’t used it).

The troubleshooting continued and even though I seemed to have resolved that it was a permission problem of some kind (as above), I decided to unpublish all of the plugins on the site, not really expecting it to fix the problem. The problem went away.

So I enabled them all again, then limited to content plugins only and turned those off, which also fixed it. Then I just started doing one at a time until I found that the BreezingForms content plugin (which lets you show a form in an article) was the one causing the problem. So I uninstalled it and installed it fresh. Still had a problem.

So I updated BreezingForms to the latest version – even though it was the same plugin version within the new component version. The problem was still there.

So I completely removed the component and reinstalled it. NOW the problem was gone. So I updated to Joomla 3.4.5 and it was still working.

I replicated this same thing on the live site with the complete removal and re-adding of the component and content plugin and now all is well.

I hope that the re-counting of this will help someone in the future even if it doesn’t have to do with BreezingForms specifically.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Scott Lavelle 8 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum