Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

It is not always the best strategy to treat the upgrade of the Joomlart template using the un-install the “old” then re-install the “new” template.

Speaking from my experience dealing with uncovering quite a few of the bugs in the very complex Teline II template — most of the fixes of the bugs involved simple script changes of a few files.

So, if this is the case:
    Why uninstall an “essentially perfect” template — consisting of thousands of tiles in hundreds of directories, just to change a few buggy files that were fixed?

In the case of Teline II, where the complete template components include six major components — the main Teline II template itself, 5 modules and a plugin:

1. ja_teline_ii_te_v1.5_j1.5.x.zip
    2. mod_ja_slwi.zip
    3. mod_janews.zip
    4. mod_ja_catslwi.zip
    5. mod_janews_fp.zip
    6. plg_jazin.zip

This is the reason why we can thank Joomlart for the QuickStart Kit

Uncompressed, the entire Teline II I believe is more than 10Mb. It is courting trouble if in the upgrade, you uninstall everything.

In fact, from the experience with the

JA Teline II (early version)
    JA Teline II v.1.3

new errors were introduced in Joomla 1.3 that was not in JA Teline II (early version).

Similarly, there was a new single error introduced in Teline II v1.5 in the upgrade not found in Teline II v1.4

Unless I missed anything, based on the changelog, I was able to upgrade to Teline II v1.5 starting with a Joomla 1.5.5-Teline IIv1.4, then I was able to upgrade finally to Joomla 1.5.6-Teline II v1.5 using the Joomla patch upgrade outlined in the previous post.

To go back to the Teline II template upgrade to Teline II v1.5, there was no need to perform the very complex uninstall of the entire components (see above) of the Teline II template to replace any further buggy filles in the existing Teline IIv1.4 then re-install the entire components (see above) of the Teline II template just to achieve the latest version of Teline II v1.5.

Based from the above, I proposed that for already existing highly customized Joomla-Joomlart template, a simpler, faster and safer way of upgrading templates that needed to be fixed — without going through the “uninstall-reinstall”:

Need for Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update without resort to uninstall/reinstall

Please visit the thread, and indicate your support or opposition to the proposal by voting in the poll.

Cornelio

wogand Friend

thanks for the poll. WE indeed need a template patch!

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@wogand 73658 wrote:</em><blockquote>thanks for the poll. WE indeed need a template patch!</blockquote>

Hi wogand,

Did you vote?

Unfortunately, someone has deleted the Poll and moved the thread. I do not know why someone — it would require a Moderator or Joomlart Staff — would do that. And whoever did it was not even honorable and courageous enough to present himself publicly and why do such a despicable act.

Please vote again, and share your own reaction to the act of deleting the Poll.

Cornelio

sbaldwin Friend

Hi Hung,
    I upgraded to the new Joomla 1.5.6 patch. I currently have Template JA Quillaja V1.1 installed but did install the new modules, JA News and JA NewsFlash for version 1.3J1.5. I would now like to update the rest of my JA Quillaja template. What do I install over my already exsisting website? Do I use the zipped Quickstart v1.3J5x or do I install the other zipped template? If I install the Quickstart will I lose my website new images and content?

Someone said to check the changelog but I don’t know what to make of it or understand what it is I supposed to do. See attached picture of text misalingment and see change log for my template below. My website is http://www.rochesterjams.com thank you!

Changelog
    Legend:
    * -> Security Fix
    # -> Bug Fix
    $ -> Language fix or change
    + -> Addition
    ^ -> Change
    – -> Removed
    ! -> Note
    ——————– 1.3 Stable Release [Jul-2008] ———————
    31-Jul-2008

^ update to joomla 1.5.5

#Login Errror
    References : http://www.joomlart.com/forums/project.php?issueid=164

I guess I not exactly sure when I write over old with new what happens!? Pleas advise as I’ve been wating a week to update my template. Also I would like to point out that when i installed the new version of JA news Module it messed up the alingment with the text under big images.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@sbaldwin 74729 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Hung,
    I upgraded to the new Joomla 1.5.6 patch. I currently have Template JA Quillaja V1.1 installed but did install the new modules, JA News and JA NewsFlash for version 1.3J1.5. I would now like to update the rest of my JA Quillaja template. What do I install over my already exsisting website? Do I use the zipped Quickstart v1.3J5x or do I install the other zipped template? If I install the Quickstart will I lose my website new images and content?

Someone said to check the changelog but I don’t know what to make of it or understand what it is I supposed to do. See attached picture of text misalingment and see change log for my template below. My website is http://www.rochesterjams.com thank you!

Changelog
    Legend:
    * -> Security Fix
    # -> Bug Fix
    $ -> Language fix or change
    + -> Addition
    ^ -> Change
    – -> Removed
    ! -> Note
    ——————– 1.3 Stable Release [Jul-2008] ———————
    31-Jul-2008

^ update to joomla 1.5.5

#Login Errror
    References : http://www.joomlart.com/forums/project.php?issueid=164

I guess I not exactly sure when I write over old with new what happens!? Pleas advise as I’ve been wating a week to update my template. Also I would like to point out that when i installed the new version of JA news Module it messed up the alingment with the text under big images.</blockquote>

Hi sbaldwin,

What is your latest Joomla 1.5.x-Template version prior to the Joomla 1.5.6 update, and how did you update to the Joomla 1.5.6?

What you should do is check if the template that you are using has a more recent QuickStart Kit. However, just look at the changelog. See if there are new fixes in the changelog. If not there is no need to update the template.

However, you should update your site using the patch for Joomla so that it will be upgraded to Joomla 1.5.6.

Unless someine tells me otherwise, most of the fixes we are doing with the Teline II can be achieved by updating it in a manner similar to a Joomla 1.5.x patch upgrade — just overwrite the specific files that needed to be changed.

Even Hung agreed in principle that a similar Joomlart Template (Patch) Update is the way to go rather than the standard uninstall-install usually suggested. However, the only reservation of Hung is that it will mean more work for them.

What Hung did not take into consideration is that if Joomlart provided specific Template (Patch) Update, it will eliminate many new tickets, such as these:

[JA-NEWS BUG STRIKES BACK] <br /> problem again on ja-news.

Fatal error – undefinited function – quickstart teline 2 1.5.6

or some new problems that even Hainn, who has been so good at providing fixes, could not himself resolve:

Position module

and may never be resolved.

The standard uninstall-install to upgrade already existing Joomla1.5.x-Joomlart Template terrifies people because so many things could go wrong that may never be solved because the error may be a random fidelity error during any stage of the uninstall-install to upgrade.

It takes only a minute to upgrade via FTP if a Joomlart Template (Patch) Upgrade. In contrast, it may take you hours, if you already have a highly customized site to place back all your customization. That is if you are lucky. If you happen to encounter a random fidelity error, you might have to start all over again. Thus, it is always good to have a backup so that if you have to start all over again, it will not be from scratch.

Cornelio

sbaldwin Friend

Hi Cornelio,
    Thank you for the quick reply! That’s my whole probelm is I DID get the changelog for the lastest version of my template (v1.1.3) and I don’t understand what it’s saying! (see changelog-copy/paste above). That is why I copy pasted so someone might be able to tell me what I need to update exaclty, if anything. Right now I still have JA Quillaja template V 1.1 template installed, with the exception of the JA News and JA NewFlash which I updated to V 1.1.3. This was stated in my second sentance above, but probably a bit confusing perhaps. Anyhow, when I installed the JANews and JA NewsFlash extentions (from the new version 1.1.3 extenions folder) I already had Joomla 1.5.6 installed and working. All I’m trying to do is find out what exactly I’m supposed to install here. If I DO install the quickstart will it write over all my work and change my images to default demo images etc., or does it just change some code or something so my site will look the same? Do I even need to install Quickstart???? By looking at the Change-Log for V1.1.3 I can’t tell… that is why I’m writing! I also wanted someone to look at the text mis-alingment that happened after installing the new JANews. Hopefully someone can answer my questions soon, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sbaldwin 15 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum